I was a little more at ease because I was with Patricio and Elsa, our study abroad staff, but the replicas don't scare me too much anyway. I always assume they will not be big, although this one was different. There were three replicas in a row. One strong one. Then a follow up which was very light. Then about a minute and a half later, the 7.2 or as I experienced 5.2, although for me it was a little more intense because of the location.
After the third replica we all had to evacuate the building.
These are a lot of the employees standing outside waiting to make sure it was safe. Everyone was either calling friends/family, listening to the radio, or checking their lap tops for the news. We were all so surprised when we found it was a 7.2!
The building I was in. So tall!
Afterward I hailed a taxi and went home. It's funny looking at all the people walking around like nothing happened. The city just returns to normal, and everyone's going about their own business. But we all have in common that we just experienced this slightly large aftershock. You look at everyone and wonder if they're scared, how they reacted, and how their day has been affected. Most probably received a phone call from a family member asking if they were okay. Although, calling someone after an intense aftershock is just about as impossible as calling someone at midnight on new years eve.
The kids getting picked up after the Replica
Construction workers dealing with aftermath and Chileans recovered and once again going about their day.
And during all of this madness, Chile's government was shifting from socialist to capitalist as President Sebastián Piñera was being inaugurated into office. Unfortunately, his inauguration had to be cut short and everyone was evacuated. Sorry Piñera .....
Presidents Evo Morales of Bolivia, Fernando Lugo of Paraguay and Rafael Correa of Ecuador during the inaugeration of Piñera . Apparently the ceiling was very shaky....
But for meee, unfortunately all activities were canceled for the rest of the day including my spanish class for extranjeros and our ambassador meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment